Literacy-based skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking and thinking) are the “Core” of the Creative Core. Each lesson, project, workshop, presentation and consultation reflect our philosophical and pedagogical passion for building communities of effective, inspired communicators. We are humbled by–and proud of–the relationships we’ve built with trusted, internationally-renowned literacy leaders like the National Writing Project and The Center for the Collaborative Classroom, and state-of-the-art intervention programs like Mindplay, Inc.
When schools and districts get serious about improving literacy, when they are ready to stop passively accepting literacy programs that fail, again and again, to inspire, engage and transform students into real, life-long readers and writers, when they’re ready to commit to developing the habits of mind essential for success in college writing:
- Curiosity – the desire to know more about the world.
- Openness – the willingness to consider new ways of being and thinking in the world.
- Engagement – a sense of investment and involvement in learning.
- Creativity – the ability to use novel approaches for generating, investigating, and representing ideas.
- Persistence – the ability to sustain interest in and attention to short- and long-term projects.Responsibility – the ability to take ownership of one’s actions and understand the consequences of those actions for oneself and others.
- Flexibility – the ability to adapt to situations, expectations, or demands.
- Metacognition – the ability to reflect on one’s own thinking as well as on the individual and cultural processes used to structure knowledge.
when they’re ready to attract and retain the most promising, energetic and effective faculty, when they’re ready to stand up for their students and be recognized as community, state and national models of educational excellence, the they turn to The Creative Core to custom design powerful, cost-effective, long-range literacy-building solutions.
Our areas of focus and expertise include, but are not limited to:
- Trait-Based writing assessment
- Collaborative Literacy
- Tier III Interventions
- Phonemic awareness, phonics and vocabulary-building
- Reading Comprehension and Fluency
- Reading and Writing Workshop
- WAC (Writing-Across-the-Curriculum)
- School wide Literacy Platforms
- Building School Culture through Slam Poetry
- School Literary Journals
- College-and-Career Ready Writers
All Creative Core literacy programs and services include fully-articulated, clearly defined Common Core State Standard Alignment, data driven, scalable, and responsive to evolving school and student needs.